Google
What is Co-Managed Care for Veterans?

Start a Discussion

Get Involved and start your discussion now. Our members will discuss with you!

Start a Discussion

Subscribe to our Newsletter

I'm a Navy wife trying to deal with telling my toddler daddy is leaving for a while.

Military Authority Member
monica amsler February 29th, 2012

Hello. i have a toddler son that everything is daddy right now. well my husband leaves in may for a 390 day deployment. how can i help my son to understand that daddy isn't going to be home for a while. but how can i also get myself ready for the delpoyment? this isn't my husbands frist deployment. this makes number 4 for him. but this is our frist one with our son. so its kinda new for me. and i am just a little lost on what i should tell him. i have had family and friends tell me to tell our son that daddy is at work and he will be home in a little while but i don't think that will work all that well with our son. only because he is a very smart 20 month old. so i am just lost. so if i could get some advise on what you all think it would be nice. please and thank you

monica

Replies

Military Authority Member
Krissy Arnold April 17th, 2012

Hello Monica,

When my ex-husband deployed, we told our children 1 and 3 that daddy had to go to work. My son, 3 at the time, knew that his daddy was in the military. He knew that daddy had to help keep him safe. Then 3 months when my ex-husband return I went to Iraq. My son told everyone that I keep him safe from the bad guys.

I understand how you feel. I am gearing up for my husband leaving and I am nervous and anxious. I think by finding a support system and talking to your husband should help. Just remember to keep your head up, there will be good days and bad ones.

Krissy

Add Your Comments