What is Co-Managed Care for Veterans?

Benefits for Veterans with General Discharge

Overview of General Discharge Benefits

You’ve served your country well, and you’ve served proudly. Now what? After your time in, you’ve earned a general discharge and are ready to take on civilian life. In all the excitement, don’t forget about the benefits that you’ve earned as a member of the U.S. military. The overview below will give you an idea of some of the various benefits available for those who fall into either the general discharge or the dishonorable discharge. Consult your VA representative if you have questions about how to file for any of these benefits.

Disability Compensation

Any injuries or diseases acquired or aggravated during military service may qualify for a tax-free monthly disability compensation.

Veterans’ Pension

You may qualify to receive a pension if you served in the U.S. military during war, are sixty-five years old or older, have a very limited source of income or are unable to work due to disability. Apply for this benefit by filling out and submitting a VA Form 21-526, known as the Veterans’ Application for Compensation or Pension.

Health Care Benefits

As you well know, veteran’s health care is in a state of flux. Consult your local VA administration office to find out the latest and best information on veterans health care. Most VA hospitals and clinics offer low or no-cost medication and treatment for veterans, but it’s best to know before you go. You can also download a free Veterans Healthcare Benefits Handbook from


The Servicemen’s Readjustment Act of 1944 offers a range of benefits for veterans who served on active duty during wartime for at least 90 days. Depending up on your discharge status, you may qualify for tuition, fees and living expenses while in school (college, high school or vocational education) and up to one year of unemployment compensation.

Other Benefits

Veterans with a general discharge may also qualify for home or business loans, job training, and post-traumatic stress disorder counseling.

Contact your local Veterans Administration office with questions.

If you’re ready to research schools or educational opportunities, check out the Military Authority School Finder.

Share This