What is Co-Managed Care for Veterans?

Subscribe to our Newsletter


Combat Compensation (CRSC) Eligibility

Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) is a program designed to increase benefits for career service members who retire with a combat related disability. Retirees who qualify are able to collect both their Military Retirement Pay and their VA Disability Compensation. Prior to the introduction of CRSC a retiree receiving VA Compensation would have that amount deducted from their retirement pay. Eligibility to receive CRSC can be rather complicated. General eligibility requirements for career active duty personnel include:

  • The retiree must be eligible and receiving VA disability benefits.
  • The retiree must have signed a VA waiver giving up some of his retirement pay in order to receive VA disability benefits.
  • The retiree’s disability must be caused by combat or be combat related. Combat related disabilities according to the DoD are defined as: Actual Combat, Simulated War-Special Forces Training Exercises or other types of training exercises, Hazardous Service including special duties that are particularly dangerous such as parachute jumping and deep sea diving, illness or injuries incurred by Instruments of War such as disabilities caused by operating military equipment such as military planes, tanks, missile launchers and the like.
  • The disability must have a VA rating of at least 10%.
  • The retiree must also be eligible to receive retired military pay.
  • Reserve Members who have more than 15 years of service but less than 20 years are eligible if their physical disabilities were incurred under section 12731b of Title 10 of the USC code.

In 2008 the National Defense Authorization Act further extended the CRSC benefit to allow retirees to be eligible for this benefit even if they haven’t finished 20 years or more in the military. This new benefit includes service members who retire under Chapter 61, the Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and the Temporary Disabled Retirement List (TDRL).

In order to get CRSC, a disabled veteran must apply for the benefit using Claim form DD FORM 2860 and the claim must be verified. Verification can be done using a copy of your Chapter 61 board results if you are a Chapter 61 retiree, copies of all VA rating decisions with summaries, and copies of DD214 and DD215s. Any official documentation that explains how the disability occurred and proving that it was related to combat will help a service member to receive CRSC benefits.

Share This