What is Co-Managed Care for Veterans?

Search Discussions

Start a Discussion

Something on your mind? Get involved and start your own discussion now!

Start a Discussion

Education Assistance for Widows and Widowers

The Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society offers scholarships for unremarried spouses of sailors and marines who have died under very limited circumstances:

  • the May 17th, 1987 attack on the U.S.S. Stark;
  • the September 11th, 2011 attack on the Pentagon; and
  • Operation Enduring Freedom.

Although this is called the Educational Assistance for Unremarried Spouses program, the scholarship is also opened to those whose military spouse was disabled during the above three incidents. In either case, you must have a current military dependent’s identification card.

The application consists of several parts, including a grade point average verification form, other education assistance received form, and authorization for release of student information. You’ll also have to attach a copy of your military identification card and your spouse’s DD 1300, Report of Casualty form.

You need to have a 2.0 grade point average (on a scale of 4.0).  Money is awarded based on financial need and is made directly to the school listed on the application. You may apply, and earn, the scholarship for four years, but the award not renewable; you must apply each year.

The scholarship is only applicable to bricks-and-mortar undergraduate colleges, universities, or technical/professional schools.  It is not available to those pursuing graduate degrees or those who are attending online colleges.

Share This