What is Co-Managed Care for Veterans?

College-Bound Veteran FAQs

Veterans and service members who are considering a college education may have a few questions. Below are answers to some of the most common questions.

Do I have to meet the same academic requirements as other incoming students?

In a word, yes.

If you’re concerned, talk to an admission counselor to clarify the school’s expectations of incoming students. If you’ve already taken some college coursework, you may be able to transfer in at a higher level. Each school is unique, but most require incoming students to have taken certain general-education courses in high school. Others may require a particular score on college admission tests.

I’ve already taken a few college classes and I’ve had military training. Can I receive college credit for either of those?

It varies from school to school, but you may be able to receive credit for any prior coursework and military training. Contact your school’s admissions counselor or veterans advisor (if they have one) to find out their policy. You can also use your military benefits to take CLEP exams, which will help you save time and money toward your degree.

What information do I need to provide when I apply?

Before you apply, request copies of your military transcript, your high school transcript, and any CLEP or college admissions tests you may have taken. You will want to check with an admissions counselor and check your school’s website to ensure you have all the information required to apply. Each school is unique, but some commonly-requested items also include letters of recommendation and a written essay.

Application fees add up, especially if I want to apply to more than one school. What if I can’t afford it?

You may request a fee waiver at some schools. If fee waivers are an option, there is usually a form online or you can call the admissions office. There are also some colleges that do not require veterans to pay an application fee.

Are there prep classes I can take if I need to dust off my skills?

There’s quite a few college prep course programs out there, offered community colleges and professional tutoring companies. For veterans, there are a number of programs that provide you a chance to practice and prepare for college level coursework. The National Association of Veterans Upward Bound program, Online Academic Skills Course, and DANTES programs are just a few low-cost or reimbursable offerings.

Who can I contact if I need help with the application process?

The VA office is one resource. Your school’s veteran’s affairs department or academic coordinator can also help. If you’re still on active duty, there may also be resources within your branch that can offer assistance.

With these questions out of the way, the next step to getting a degree is to find a school that meets your needs. The Military Authority School Finder can help.

Share This

Related Topics