Google
Staying Motivated as a Student Through the Holidays

South Carolina Air Force Bases (2)


  • Joint Base Charleston North Charleston

  • Charleston Air Force Base is operated by the Air Mobility Command and located in North Charleston, South Carolina. It was built in 1931 and is currently home to the 437th Airlift Wing, aligned under the 21st Air Force, and the 315th Airlift Wing. The base uses the same runway with the Charleston International Airport. Because of this, the installation is divided into two different sectors depending on aircraft operations. From 1952 onwards, the base has grown substantially. On 1991, the capital assets of the base have reached more than $430 million in assets including 6,235 acres of land with two runways at the air base and another two at the North Auxiliary Air Field located in North, South Carolina.

  • Shaw AFB Sumter

  • Shaw AFB is located in Sumter, South Carolina. It was built in 1941 and is currently home to the 20th Fighter Wing, the largest F-16 Combat wing of the Air Force; the Ninth Air Force, and the United States Central Command Air Forces. The installation is named after First Lieutenant Ervin David Shaw, a World War I pilot, and is currently under the command of Colonel Joseph T. Guastella. It remains one of the largest bases operated by the United States Air Force. Being one of the United State’s largest fields, the base has always been a training base for pilots but for a brief period, the base served as a POW camp in World War II.

South Carolina Army Bases (1)


  • Fort Jackson Columbia

  • Fort Jackson is a US Army training base operated by the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command and is part of the Basic Command Training. The base, located in Columbia, South Carolina, was established in 1917 during USA’s entrance to World War I and is named in honor of Andrew Jackson, the 7th president of the United States of America. Fort Jackson is the largest Initial Entry Center operated by the US Army. It is also the most active. This is evident in its output of 25% of all trained men and 80% of all trained women in the US Army. Fort Jackson is currently home to the Soldier Support Institute, the US Army Adjutant School, the Finance School, the Recruiting and Retention School, the Non-Commissioned Officers Academy, and the Training Support Battalion.

South Carolina Marine Corps Bases (2)


  • MCAS Beaufort Beaufort

  • Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort is an installation located in Beaufort, South Carolina. The installation was originally established as a training facility for anti-submarine patrols during the Second World War. It was reestablished as Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort on March 1, 1960. Merritt Field, located within the air station, is named after Major General Lewie G. Meritt, a Marine Corps aviation pioneer. The air station is host to the operations and management of all active duty F/A-18s on the East Coast which are assigned to Marine Air Group 31. It has the primary mission of ensuring continuing operations of the Air Group as well as its support units. The base has a total population of almost 4,000 active-duty personnel, and 700 civilian employees.

  • MCRD Parris Island Port Royal

  • Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island is located in Port Royal, South Carolina. The base is tasked with providing the first level initial training for all newly recruited marines often numbering 19,000 per year. This number includes male recruits that reside east of the Mississippi river and all female recruits from all states. Its sister installation, Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, is in charge of training all other male recruits living west of the Mississippi river. The base is currently under the command of Brigadier General Fredrick M. Padilla and is home to a multitude of tenant units including: Recruit Training Regiment, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Recruit Training Battalion, Support Battalion, Headquarters and Service Battalion, Weapons and Field Training Battalion, and the 6th Marine Corps District.

South Carolina Navy Bases (3)


  • Naval Hospital Beaufort Beaufort

  • United States Naval Hospital Beaufort is a Navy hospital that manages two branch clinics at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island and at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, including the main hospital itself which is located in Port Royal, South Carolina. The hospital also services the Laurel Bay housing area. The hospital was commissioned on April 29, 1949. Unlike most hospitals that are tenants of a larger base, Naval Hospital Beaufort is one of the few military hospitals that is situated within its own complex. It is tasked with providing medical care, surgical procedures, and emergency services to all personnel of the Navy and the Marine Corps. They also service family members of Navy and Marine Corps personnel living in the Beaufort area which numbers 35,000 people.

  • Naval Hospital Charleston North Charleston

  • Charleston, South Carolina, right next to the Navy Yard. It was established on July 31, 1917 after the necessity of a Naval Hospital near the Charleston Navy Yard was realized. It was built with 19 wooden buildings and had a capacity of 250. It had one story buildings that housed the administration building, the ward buildings, the galley, the mess, the power house, and the recreational hall. After rising maintenance costs and decreasing number of patients, it was decided that the hospital and the year dispensary be combined as a Naval Hospital and Dispensary. The Yard Dispensary was later designated as a Naval Hospital. On February 14 1970, the Charleston Naval Hospital was officially established. It had a modern 500 bed structure that replaced the old hospital facilities located in the area.

  • NWS Charleston Goose Creek

  • Naval Weapons Station Charleston is a military installation that covers both Goose Creek City, Hanahan, and North Charleston City, South Carolina. The installation covers 17,000 acres of land and 10,000 acres of forest and wetlands. Naval Weapons Station Charleston was originally established as the United States Naval Ammunition Depot during World War II to serve as an ammunition collection and distribution point in coordination with the nearby Charleston Naval Shipyard. Currently, the installation is home to the Naval Nuclear Power Training Command; the Nuclear Power Training Unit, Propulsion Facility, and Border Patrol satellite academy; the Naval Consolidated Brigade, Charleston; the Mobile Mine Assembly Unit; several Explosive Ordnance Detachments, a Marine Corps Reserve Center; and an engineering complex for the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center.