Dependency and Indemnity Compensation is a monthly benefit paid to eligible survivors of certain deceased veterans.
If the veteran’s death was after January 1, 1993, DIC benefits are paid to a surviving spouse at the monthly rate of $1154.
- Add $246 if at the time of the veteran's death
- the veteran received or was entitled to receive compensation for a service-connected disability rated totally disabling (including a rating based on individual unemployability) for a continuous period of at least 8 years immediately preceding death; and
- the surviving spouse was married to the veteran for those same 8 years.
- Add $286 per child for each dependent child under age 18
- If the surviving spouse is entitled to aid and attendance (A&A), add $286
- If the surviving spouse is entitled to Housebound, add $135
When there is no surviving spouse of an entitled deceased veteran, DIC is paid in equal shares to surviving children at the following monthly rates divided by the number of children:
- one child, $488;
- two children, $701;
- three children, $915; and
- more than three children, $915, plus $174 for each child in excess of three.