The Department of Defense initiated the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support to assist military personnel attain educational goals while in service.
DANTES programming utilizes multiple media to allow the service member the flexibility and freedom to gain education on a schedule that best suits their individual needs.
Courses are distributed via:
- Audio or Video Cassette
- Print Correspondence
- Satellite Television
There are various support programs to assist the service member on their educational path, including:
- Credit-by-Examination Programs
- Distance Learning Programs
- Military Evaluations (Transcript) Programs - College Credit for Service
- Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges - SOC
- Career Guidance Materials
- Certification Programs
- Troops to Teachers Program